Monday, September 24, 2012

Seduced in the Dark

Title: Seduced in the Dark
Author: CJ Roberts
Genre: Erotica/Dark Romance
Source: Reviewer Purchase
Rating: 4 ****
The exciting, titillating, and action-filled conclusion to Captive in the Dark.

What is the price of redemption?
Rescued from sexual slavery by a mysterious Pakistani officer, Caleb carries the weight of a debt that must be paid in blood.
The road has been long and fraught with uncertainty, but for Caleb and Livvie, it’s all coming to an end.
Can he surrender the woman he loves for the sake of vengeance?
Or will he make the ultimate sacrifice?
Quote:
It seemed to Caleb, the nature of human beings revolved around one empirical truth: we want what we cannot have. For Eve, it was the fruit of the forbidden tree. For Caleb, it was Livvie.



Lori's Review:
WOW.

Yep. That's it. Just wow. I swear from here on out whatever CJ Roberts puts out I am buying. This book was amazing.
The star rating is less than the previous book. Why? Because I was slightly disappointed. I don't know why. I am pretty sure it's the I don't want this book to end ever let down. Also, I just don't know. Ok....let's process this together.
What went on. Well let's just say this book is even harder to get through than the first. We spend the majority of the book being told one huge major thing. Is it true? Well yes, no, maybe so. You know I am not gonna say right? Hands down the best part of the book was Caleb's POV. The book would be a huge let down without it. We get to see Caleb's internal struggle with his obvious feelings for Kitten. He doesn't always show these feelings. As a matter of fact he acts like an asshole more than half the time. But I still love him. I still fucking love him. I had a internal debate about my book crush on Caleb. He is a master manipulator as a sex slave trainer. He breaks women down and builds them back up to "love" him. Did CJ Roberts do this to us the reader. She never once says here is Caleb love him. She leaves it up to us. It would be very easy for a reader to leave this book in utter disgust and hate Caleb. I often felt myself wanting to vomit at some of the things he said and did to Livvie.
Was it still hot? Of course. It was amazing. Even more so because of the developing feelings between Livvie and Caleb.
What I really, really loved? Ms. Roberts leads us down one lane and we, the reader, think something is there that isn't. Or is it? It's a total mindfuck. So many writers want you to get from point to A-B. They guide you there, they leave Easter eggs, a bread trail. Ms. Roberts leads more false trails than any other author out there. Or does she? I can't figure it out. I found myself reading too much and too little into certain things. This is a thinking readers erotica. You can choose to hang on for the ride or you can choose to engage and become attached. Your level of involvement depends on YOU. I think anyone wary of these types of erotic and romance novels will enjoy these. It's a story about finding love in darkness, about forgiveness, about two really fucked up people needing each other.
I am sad. So sad that there is not more to Caleb and Livvie's story.




2 comments:

  1. I think you explained it exactly how I felt but probably better :-) I too loved Caleb but felt guilty half the time for feeling that way. When an author can make us question our internal struggles with fictional characters, she's done her job and done it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think that too. She made me scratch my head more than a few times. :D

      Delete